Making a Mid-Career Change? TEFL Is The Perfect Choice
27th April 2022
Needless to say, there are a few careers that are rewarding and in demand, always. Teaching is certainly among them but teaching English abroad is something that is lucrative, huge in demand and an interesting career choice. You will be surprised to know that more than 20,000 new teaching English abroad jobs are listed per month!
The demand for certified TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) teachers with an international TEFL certificate course is extreme. So, if you are looking for a mid-life career change, TEFL can be a perfect choice for you! Also, there are no actual age restrictions for teaching English abroad.
What Is A TEFL Certificate Course?
In simple words, it is the primary step to becoming a teacher of English to non-native English speakers and it never expires. Right now, recruiters prefer their candidates to be TEFL certified applicants. Nevertheless, several institutions use TEFL, TESL, and TESOL interchangeably when referring to teaching English abroad. Hence, we are here to help you NOT to get confused…
- TEFL stands for Teaching English as a Foreign Language
- TESL stands for Teaching English as a Second Language
- TESOL stands for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
While choosing the course, the total number of hours is very crucial. We recommend choosing a course with at least 120 hours. The TEFL course is available in an online format as well.
You will learn various upgraded teaching methods, theories of learning, lesson planning, classroom management, English grammar and many more aspects of teaching English. Furthermore, if your course has a teaching practicum, you’ll be able to manage any kind of classroom confidently.
TEFL Career Path
Is TEFL a good career choice? YES, it is! Let us look at opportunities with career progression ---
- If you enjoy teaching, you can carry on teaching English abroad.
- Up the TEFL career ladder by becoming a senior teacher or academic coordinator or positions such as Young Learner Coordinator or Business English coordinator.
- You can become a Director of Studies.
- Become a TEFL teacher trainer.
- Open your own language school.
- Get involved in ELT publishing.
TEFL career development isn’t always as linear as some other careers.
Helpful Tips for a Successful Mid-Career Change
We already know that TEFL can be a long-term career or can be a smart mid-life career change option, right? Sometimes, a complete change is essential. Here are some proven tips for a mid-life career change ---
- Update Your Resume
- Use Your Existing Network
- Consider Options Within Your Current Company
- Expand Your Network
- Brush Up Your Soft Skills
- Learn New Aptitudes
- Leverage Your Social Media
- Prepare for Job Interviews
A good TEFL program is highly interactive and exclusive. But, first identify whether you want to work with young learners or do you like the sound of a career teaching Business English? Classically, the more advanced curriculums take up to 12 weeks to complete.
In conclusion, remember your experience is still evocative and can inform your future career. International TEFL Certificate course goes a long way toward helping you land your dream job. The program gives a truly unique experience.
Liked this article? Don't forget to share.